Phoenix Lights presents the first annual First Encounters DJ Competition. Compete to win an opening slot at Phoenix Lights Festival 2017 featuring Above & Beyond, Alesso, Tiesto, and many many more!
PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL COMPETITION RULES! GOOD LUCK!
1. Must not have played any 2016 Relentless Beats show as support to a headliner, hence the title “First Encounters”.
2. Please record a demo set and upload to your SoundCloud or MixCloud account. The set needs to be at least 30 minutes long and feature your style of music. In other words, don’t submit a trance set and play dubstep during your performance. The mix does not need to be exclusive for the competition, but the fresher the better ☺ Name this set “PHXL First Encounters AZ 2017” so we can find it easily.
3. Email the following information to email@example.com:
- Subject: “First Encounters AZ 2017”
- Real Name
- DJ Alias
- Email address
- Phone #
- Facebook Link
- What equipment you play on live (CDJs, controller, etc)
- Soundcloud or MixCloud link
- 3 most inspirational djs/producers (any genre)
4. All submissions must be in by 11:59PM on February 20, 2017. 10 applicants will be selected by the Relentless Beats team to compete on March 9th, along with 2 Wild Cards to fill any no-shows.
5. To ensure equal crowds and fair time slots for everyone, slots will be drawn at random by the competitors at 8:30PM before the doors are open for the show. If you are not checked in by 8:50PM you will forfeit your slot and it will go to one of the wild cards. Check this page or the facebook event page for updates. We’ll also email your instructions. You will get a 20-minute timeslot. There are no timeslot changes allowed so if you do not show up for your slot once you draw it, you forfeit it. So make sure you are available on this date for the full show time before entering competition.
6. All DJs will need to arrive at Monarch Theatre 8:30PM to check in and encouraged to support the other DJs throughout the competition.
7. Winner of opening Phoenix Lights time slot will be announced at the end of the show.
You can perform on any equipment or software you want provided that it will work with the Monarch DJ Booth limitations. The DJ Booth will have 2 PIONEER CDJ 2000 Nexus’ and a DJM 900 mixer ready to go. NO pulling equipment. There are two open lines on the mixer and approximately 24in of space for additional equipment on either side of the CDJs. You may use the CDJs or one open area of the booth& one open channel on the mixer. You cannot use both the open channels or both open areas. An RCA will be provided and hooked to the mixer. Your set time will be timed to the minute so make sure you prepare for a solid 20 minute set. We will cut you off if you run over. Don’t worry we will be there to give you notice on time. The music will be seamless (no stops). Therefore, you MUST mix into the prior DJs last song. You must be an adult (18+) to compete. All forms of electronic music are accepted.
You will be provide an unlimited $5 guestlist and you must have at least 10 people actually show up to support your performance. This is the minimal requirement to qualify for the prizes. Our guestlist system will keep track of the guests that show up. DJs, big and small, put a lot of effort into promoting themselves. If you take the PHXL stage, we want someone who pushes himself or herself as an artist. We have a theory; if you don’t have people who believe in and support your music, we probably won’t either.
Judging will be based on the following categories:
Technical Judging: Difficulty of Performance, Phrasing, Musicality/Harmonic Mixing, Use Of Technology, Ease of Setup and DJ to DJ Transition
Interactive Judging: Track Selection, DJ Booth Presence, Crowd Interaction and Crowd Response.
If you bring a big crowd, it will help with the crowd response.
We will design a flyer for each competitor for your promotional use. Please promote your performance. Again, crowd interaction is a key factor.